Saturday, July 12, 2008

Be a Wok Star

My friend Eleanor made me a Wok Star.

Born in China, raised in Hong Kong, and educated at fancy schools in England, Eleanor Hoh speaks with a deliciously plummy English accent.

She's been an actress/model in many commercials and ads around the world, and a vivacious TV show hostess in Miami.

Now she also runs a cooking school that teaches people how to make extremely tasty, but quick Chinese stir-fry food in traditional, very thin, cast-iron woks.


These woks, which she imports from China, are almost like art objects -- as if Brancusi had sculpted a Chinese frying pan.

I'd cooked with woks before. In fact, I already had two in my kitchen, but they were steel woks. Old-school, cast-iron woks are hard to find in this country.

But -- as I soon discovered after getting one of Eleanor's super-thin, super-light, cast iron woks -- cast iron cooks better, cleans easier and makes crisper stir-fry vegetables than the more Westernized steel models.

As for teflon-coated woks -- don't even think about it.

Anyhow, as a sort of bonus, Eleanor gave me one of her beautiful, seasoned woks after I did some food and product photography for her, a few samples of which are in this blog entry.


Eleanor says anybody can become a Wok Star with her lessons, which she gives in person and on DVD. Check out her website, eleanorhoh.com


1 Comments:

Blogger Eleanor Hoh said...

What an honor to be included on your blog, Bill. You have a wonderful way of unfolding the story through words and photos. Enjoyed our day getting these beautiful shots. Thanks for everything and hope to see you as a Wok Star on my website.

July 20, 2008 12:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home